Day 131 — Sprint 18 Retrospective
Wrapping up a week of prototype building
🎥 Highlights of the Week
💡What I Learned
Now that we have data, learnings are more apparent. So this week I’ll share our data since last week’s launch (March 31st — April 11th).
New User Signups
We had 31 new user account signups since launch so far. Here you can see this trend by day. What’s noticeable is the April 2nd spike, which corresponded to a few outreach activities to parent groups. Otherwise, we’ve had a pretty steady couple signups a day.
We’ll need to continue outreach efforts to get new users to our app. We currently don’t have much of a viral component of our app, so we’ll need to work on that to really drive up these numbers.
- So far, we’ve had 53 new app downloads across Apple and Google (I’m not including 5 existing users who previously downloaded our app).
- Of these users, 31 created a new account
- Of these 31, only 22 users complete the first module
Not great! That means less than half of users that download our app complete the first module. Why?
- Maybe our account signup process is too arduous?
- Maybe we’re mis-communicating the value of the app at download time?
- Maybe our welcome module isn’t good enough?
More to dig into for sure.
This is probably my favorite chart to look at, as it shows how good we are at engaging users in the app. It shows our user’s progress through module content. Each pair of 2 bars represents a module — start and end. Here you can see user progress across these modules.
We clearly have a lot of work to do to get users through our content (with the assumption that more content = more skill-building = better outcomes). We’ll work on a few things to improve this, such as:
- Improving content.
- Making interactions between content more engaging (e.g., new engagement features).
👍 What Went Well
- Data Driven. I’m so happy we have some analytics to drive our behavior and can assess week-over-week. It’s how we’ll get better.
- We got 31 signups our first week! Sure, it’s not flying off the charts, but it shows we’re reaching an audience and driving downloads. This audience right now is mostly parents.
- Prototypes: I made some good progress on iterating on a few ideas to make our app more engaging. They still need to be tested, but I’m excited about our direction.
👎 Opportunities to Improve
- Reaching teens. We’re mostly reaching parents with our app downloads. That’s mostly because our marketing efforts are through Facebook and Instagram vs. Tik Tok. We have plans to change this soon.
- Increasing app engagement. Seeing the user dropoff data makes it clear we still have some work to do to make our app more engaging for users.
- User Testing: This week I got away from a formal “sprint” process to test new app features. It led to some good output, but I failed to line up user testing of the new prototypes.
🎬 Action Items
- Improve app downloads and user retention.
This week I’ll build a new content module and incorporate some of the prototypes I built this week.